Slow Cooker Pepper Steak
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
- 1 beef top round roast (3 pounds)
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 cup water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 8 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Place roast, onion and peppers in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water and garlic. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove beef to a cutting board. Transfer vegetables and cooking juices to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch, soy sauce, sugar and ginger until smooth; stir into vegetable mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Cut beef into slices. Stir gently into sauce; heat through. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 322 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 444mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Aug 21, 2016
I worried that the meat wouldn't be tender because of the cut but it turned out perfect! I ruined the meal when I poured the overly salty sauce over the meat. That was way too much soy sauce!! And, yes, I used low-sodium soy sauce.
Jan 8, 2016
This was delicious. I never used this cut of meat before, but it turned out perfectly. The sauce was really thick and the vegetables nearly disappeared in it, which of course works for some of my children.
Apr 24, 2015
YUMM-OOO!!! This recipe is so easy to set it and forget it in the slow cooker, and my husband, son, and I all L-O-V-E-D the outcome! This recipe has already been placed in my recipe binder, so it *will* be made on a regular basis! Thanks for submitting such an awesome recipe!!!
Oct 29, 2014
Delicious! I don't even like peppers but loved this recipe! The only thing I changed was adding more water to the crock pot to make more of the gravy! The family loved it as well!
Oct 12, 2014
Very tasty. I did freeze the leftovers and reheated it using a little beef broth. It wasn't as good.
Sep 22, 2014
Very similar to one I created. I loved the taste! it was easy also
Jun 9, 2014
Recipe saved! Most likely will **halve** since making full recipe would make too much. THANK YOU. J.