Tomato Pepper Steak
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- Cut beef into 3-in. x 1/4-in. strips. Heat oil in a large skillet; brown beef over medium-high heat. Add broth, celery, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 55-60 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Add tomatoes, peppers and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables have reached desired tenderness.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 220 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 926mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 9, 2010
This was very simple and everyone was in love at first bite. I made a few changes as I didn't have everything on hand and one that was a great change was using dry onion soup mix and water in place of the broth.