Slow-Cooked Pepper Steak
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges or 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Hot cooked noodles or rice
- Cut beef into 3-in. x 1-in. strips. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the onion, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, salt, ginger and pepper; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender. Add tomatoes and green pepper; cook on low 1 hour longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 20-30 minutes until thickened. Serve with noodles or rice. Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without noodles): 232 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 639mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Feb 24, 2018
This is a good and tasty recipe. I put the vegetables into the slow cooker with the beef and let everything cook all day. When thickening the sauce, I leave the lid off of the slow cooker and let some of the liquid evaporate.
Mar 12, 2017
This was actually quite flavorful. Easy to make. We really liked it and I will make it again!
Jul 27, 2016
Excellent! So easy to prepare & my Husband loved it!
Jun 8, 2016
My mother introduced this to me. So mouthwatering I can never wait for it to be done. I've used canned tomatoes and also rotel.
Mar 28, 2016
Incredible dish and so easy to make! I used top sirloin steak but didn't change another thing! Will be a keeper in our household!
Sep 21, 2015
I make this regularly. Serve over rice and with wheat rolls and corn. Only change I make is using tomato sauce instead of diced because of the picky eaters in my house.
Jan 23, 2015
I have this on a regular basis....I make it exactly the way the recipe says and it always turns out perfectly. I serve mine over hot fluffy rice. My husband and son love it, and the leftovers (if any) are really good. Great dish!
Aug 9, 2014
My husband doesn't like green pepper so I used both red and yellow, my family loved it!
Aug 3, 2014
This Is wonderful! I used a round roast, as that is what I had in hand, and the canned diced tomatoes. It turned out so good, and I will make this again. Served mine with buttered noodles. Yummy!
Jul 28, 2014
Great flavors blended in,,, my husband (who is wonderful, but picky when it comes to food) loved it,,, used a red and yellow pepper~ brown sugar to make the tomatoes less tart~served with buttered noodles, and applesauce~good deal!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.