Tacos on a Stick
Teens like assembling these creative kabobs almost as much as they like devouring them. The whole family is sure to love the sensational Southwestern flavor of this twist on beef shish kabobs. —Dixie Terry, Goreville, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- Salsa con queso or sour cream, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the taco seasoning, tomato juice and oil; mix well. Remove 1/2 cup for basting; refrigerate. Add beef to the bag; seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 5 hours.
- Drain and discard marinade from beef. On metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread beef, peppers, onion and tomatoes. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Baste with reserved marinade. Continue turning and basting for 8-10 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness. If desired, serve with salsa con queso or sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1 kabob: 277 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 665mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Tacos on a Stick in Quick Cooking July/August 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.