Spring Herb Roast
This marvelous roast lets you forget about it while it’s cooking (but the aroma will remind you). We serve it with brown rice or mashed potatoes. —Donna Roberts, Manhattan, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours + standing
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, marjoram and thyme
- Minced fresh parsley
- Place onions and mushrooms in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown roast on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix water, tomato paste, garlic, basil, marjoram and thyme; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until meat is tender (a thermometer should read at least 145°).
- Remove roast from slow cooker; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with onion mixture; sprinkle with parsley.