Herbed Roast Turkey Breast
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 1 bone-in turkey breast (5 to 6 pounds)
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 celery rib, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325°.With fingers, carefully loosen the skin from both sides of turkey breast. Combine lemon juice and oil; brush under the skin. Combine the pepper, rosemary, thyme and garlic salt; rub over turkey.
- Place onion and celery in a 3-qt. baking dish. Top with turkey breast, skin side up. Pour wine into the dish.
- Bake, uncovered, 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 170°, basting every 30 minutes with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.) Cover and let stand 15 minutes before carving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts5 ounce-weight: 285 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 40g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 medium-fat meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 2, 2018
My daughter is the pickiest of eaters, so when she asked for seconds tonight on the turkey slices, I knew this recipe was a huge win. As a matter of fact, she asked me to remember exactly how I made it so I could make it again the exact same way! I had to laugh! Thank you. And did tell her where I got the recipe??
Jan 2, 2018
OMG, this recipe was perfect!!! One addition, an extra stalk of celery because I had it, but certainly not needed. I did NOT use a rack - just placed the breast on top of the veggies. This is a keeper recipe!!! Thanks TOH!
Nov 24, 2017
This was the best turkey breast I have ever cooked. Had a 7 lb. breast & did put it on a rack. Used extra chicken broth, but otherwise followed the recipe. 2 1/2 hrs. later reached 165 degrees & rested for 30 min. had a perfectly cooked juicy turkey breast.
Oct 30, 2016
The timing and temperatures are spot-on with this recipe. The skin on mine was deeply golden just like in the picture above. I think next time I would cook it on a rack, to let the fat drain away, instead of on top of vegetables.(Looking at the recipe again, I see that I added too much lemon juice, so I take full blame for the sauce being a bit more acidic we would have preferred.)
Sep 25, 2016
Very good and very easy. I did not have lemon juice so I used lime and it was very tasty.
Nov 26, 2015
This is the BEST turkey I have ever tasted! The turkey is very flavorful and moist, and smells soooo good while cooking. I didn't have any lemon juice so I used orange juice instead. I also substituted garlic powder plus 1/8 teaspoon of salt for the garlic salt that the recipe calls for - it turned out just fine. This recipe is fantastic!!!!
Dec 6, 2014
I used this recipe for my Thanksgiving turkey and it was very good. I followed the recipe as written and the turkey was perfect. Will definitely prepare again.
Oct 22, 2013
I usually Brine turkey, however didn't have time and followed the recipe. OMG my family loved it! So moist and flavorful! As my husband and I were cleaning up, we couldn't stop our self's from eating more turkey, after we were stuffed! So good! The Gravy was divine! I WILL ALWAYS DO TURKEY THIS WAY!!!!
Nov 11, 2012
Apr 5, 2011
OMG! I have been following an Alton Brown recipe for at least the past 5 years. NO LONGER! THIS IS PERFECT! My Grandmother said it's the best turkey breast she's ever had.