Brined Grilled Turkey Breast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Grill: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 2 quarts cold water, divided
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 boneless skinless turkey breast half (2 to 3 pounds)
- BASTING SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large saucepan, combine 1 quart water, salt, brown sugar and peppercorns. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Pour into a large bowl. Add remaining 1 quart cold water to cool the brine to room temperature. Add turkey breast; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate 4-6 hours, turning occasionally.
- Prepare grill for indirect medium heat, using a drip pan. Meanwhile, combine basting sauce ingredients. Grill turkey, covered, until a thermometer reads 170°, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours, basting occasionally with sauce. Remove to a cutting board. Cover and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked turkey: 364 calories, 19g fat (2g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 553mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 38g protein.
Dec 25, 2015
Moist, perfectly seasoned!
Sep 27, 2015
This is amazing! And, easy, too. The entire family thought this was super moist & delicious. We put the turkey breast in an aluminum pan & covered with foil before placing on the grill, easy cleanup & recyclable aluminum. This will be made often.
Dec 3, 2011
This was the first time I brined a turkey breast or anything! It was super moist and very tastey! I did not grill it but I did put it in a turkey baking bag. Everyone loved it and said we should do this to all of our turkeys. Will be brining again in the future!
Nov 23, 2010
Should have added that when I make it in the oven I leave about an inch of the brine in the dutch oven, then baste as usual. I cover it if it seems to get too brown. Cooked for the time recommended on the package for breast or whole turkey.
Nov 22, 2010
I have made this recipe many times. It is absolutely the best recipe that I have ever made with turkey. Sometimes I have made it in the oven, too. Always juicy and delicious.
Apr 1, 2010
This is delicious. I put it on the rotisserie since it was too cold to grill out. Turned out great and have made it several times. Plan on doing a whole turkey with recipe for Easter.