Brined Roasting Chicken
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 8 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3/4 to 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- For brine, combine the first seven ingredients in a large kettle. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until salt is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Cool to room temperature.
- Remove giblets from chicken; discard. Place cold water in a 2-gal. resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Place in a roasting pan. Carefully pour cooled brine into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours, turning several times.
- Discard brine. Rinse chicken with water; pat dry. Skewer chicken openings; tie drumsticks together. Brush with oil. Place chicken in a roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 80-90 minutes or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings (cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly).
- Remove chicken to a serving platter and keep warm. Pour drippings and loosened browned bits into a measuring cup; skim fat and discard. Add enough broth to measure 1 cup.
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and broth mixture until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts6 ounces cooked chicken with about 2 tablespoons gravy: 404 calories, 24g fat (7g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 277mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 42g protein.
Jul 20, 2018
Excellent! I didn't have enough ground ginger, so I ended up using 1 t. Chinese 5-Spice Powder and 1 t. ground ginger. I also left the chicken in the brine for 24 hours. This was probably the best roast chicken I've ever made for both flavor and moistness.
Nov 2, 2016
We had three meals using this chicken recipe! We had it with the gravy for one meal. DH made broth from the bones and made a delicious chicken & rice soup, and I used it as one pizza topping. Great!
Oct 31, 2016
This is one of the best chicken recipes I have ever tried and if I could give it more than 5 stars, I would! The chicken was very moist and tender, and the gravy was amazing. My husband raved about it the whole time we ate and it will definitely be a "regular" in my meal rotation!
Apr 28, 2014
I used this brine on some chicken wings that I grill over the weekend. It was great. The flavor was perfect. I put a hot sauce on some of them and left the rest naked. both variations were good.
Jun 5, 2013
First made it for Easter and have since made it for every other special occasion since!!! This is my new go-to chicken recipe and one of the few that my picky kids will eat. For saltier chicken, keep it in brine for twice the amount of time and don't rinse before cooking. For less salt (especially in the breast-meat) brine for 2-3 hours only. THANK YOU for this recipe! Its going to replace the turkey for Thanksgiving
Jul 22, 2012
The only reason I did not give this 5 stars is because I added alot of spices to it. With the spices this chicken is 6 stars! I didn't use the Molasses and used Soy Sauce instead. I know, not the same thing, but that's what I wanted. I added by the tsp full: garlic and herb seasoning, onion powder, dill, Mrs. Dash original blend, parsley, and basil. Left in brine for eight hours, then grilled it for 90 minutes using a tin-foil 'bowl' on our gas grill. Delish!
Oct 18, 2011
I have made this recipe several times and it is a favorite. The chicken always turns out moist and delicious.
Oct 17, 2011
A good roast chicken recipe.
Jan 31, 2011
I tried this on a small chicken I picked up to make a special meal for our 1st Wedding Anniversary. It was amazing, it is most definatly something I will be doing again. I was super moist, and had an amazing flavor. My chicken was small, only about 3 pounds, so I halved the recipe, and let it sit in the fridge for about 24 hours. Wonderful taste, and so easy.
Dec 23, 2010
fabulous! I will make a turky soup with the left-overs.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.