Maple-Sage Brined Turkey
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + brining Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 4 quarts water
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sea salt
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 24 fresh sage leaves
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons yellow prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 quarts ice water
- 2 turkey-size oven roasting bags
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a large stockpot, combine first 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Remove from heat. Add 4 quarts ice water to cool the brine to room temperature.
- Put one turkey-sized oven roasting bag inside the other; place in a large stockpot. Place turkey inside both bags; pour in cooled brine. Seal bags, pressing out as much air as possible. Refrigerate 18-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove turkey from brine; rinse and pat dry. Discard brine. Place turkey on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Rub oil over outside of turkey; sprinkle with pepper and, if desired, salt.
- Roast, uncovered, until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, 2-1/2 to 3 hours. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
Nutrition Facts7 ounces cooked turkey with skin: 384 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 172mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 0 carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 51g protein.
Nov 19, 2018
I see this is for a 14-16 lbs turkey. What would be the ingredient measurements for an 18-20 lbs turkey? This sounds really good.
Dec 11, 2016
What an awesome recipe...definitely a new favorite! I cut the recipe in half and used it with a 7# chicken. As a Volunteer Field Editor for TOH, I highly recommend it!
Nov 29, 2016
This was the moistest, most flavorful turkey we've ever had! Will use this recipe again and again.