Maple-Sage Brined Turkey
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + brining Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 4 quarts water
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sea salt
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 24 fresh sage leaves
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons yellow prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 quarts ice water
- 2 turkey-size oven roasting bags
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a large stockpot, combine first 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Remove from heat. Add 4 quarts ice water to cool the brine to room temperature.
- Put one turkey-sized oven roasting bag inside the other; place in a large stockpot. Place turkey inside both bags; pour in cooled brine. Seal bags, pressing out as much air as possible. Refrigerate 18-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove turkey from brine; rinse and pat dry. Discard brine. Place turkey on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Rub oil over outside of turkey; sprinkle with pepper and, if desired, salt.
- Roast, uncovered, until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, 2-1/2 to 3 hours. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
Nutrition Facts7 ounces cooked turkey with skin: 384 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 172mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 0 carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 51g protein.
Dec 11, 2016
What an awesome recipe...definitely a new favorite! I cut the recipe in half and used it with a 7# chicken. As a Volunteer Field Editor for TOH, I highly recommend it!
Nov 29, 2016
This was the moistest, most flavorful turkey we've ever had! Will use this recipe again and again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.