Even during the holidays, my husband wouldn't eat turkey...until I tried this recipe. Now, he loves it! The sweet and spicy glaze gives the turkey a wonderful flavor.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 3-3/4 hours
Makes14 servings (8 cups stuffing)
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 12 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes or dry bread cubes
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups boiling water
- Place turkey on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Bake at 325° for 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients; brush over turkey. Bake 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours longer or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. Baste occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- For stuffing, in a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir until tender. Add stuffing cubes and seasonings; toss to combine. Stir in enough boiling water to reach desired moistness; transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
- Remove turkey from oven; cover loosely with foil and let stand 15 minutes before carving. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with turkey and stuffing.
Editor's Note: Stuffing can also be baked in turkey. Loosely stuff turkey just before baking; bake as directed, increasing final bake time by 15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 180° in thigh and 165° in center of stuffing.
Nutrition Facts8 ounces cooked turkey with 1/2 cup stuffing: 663 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 189mg cholesterol, 1129mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 73g protein.
Originally published as Honey-Glazed Turkey in Country Woman Christmas Volume 1