Spinach Skillet Bake Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack or mozzarella cheese
- 1. In an ovenproof skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the spinach, mushrooms, garlic salt and basil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over meat mixture; mix well. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
To avoid ending up with lumps in the white sauce for Spinach Skillet Bake, stir it with a whisk while it cooks.
1 ounce-weight: 351 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 872mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Reviews for Spinach Skillet Bake
"I used fresh spinach for this recipe. It was simple and tasty. An easy recipe for a work night. Next time I may add additional seasoning like extra garlic and cayenne pepper for a kick."
"quick to make and delicious! If you don't mind spinach, it is a delightful and filling meal!"
"Yummy! Thaw the spinach first."