Spinach Beef Stir-Fry
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Cook: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 boneless beef sirloin steak (1 pound), cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 6 cups torn fresh spinach
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Place soy sauce in a large resealable plastic bag; add steak. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for up to 2 hours. Drain and discard soy sauce.
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch, bouillon, five-spice powder and water until smooth; set aside. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, sir-fry beef in batches in 1 tablespoon hot oil until beef is no longer pink. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Stir-fry carrots in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Add the green pepper, celery and mushrooms; stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the water chestnuts and onions; stir-fry for 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add spinach and beef; cook and stir until spinach is wilted and beef is heated through. Serve over rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 280 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 597mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Aug 5, 2014
I left out the carrots and added baby corns instead. One of these days I'll remember I don't like water chestnuts and remember to leave them out. Otherwise good recipe. I suggest if you plan on reheating it at all, undercooking the beef that you plan on reheating. otherwise it gets tough.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.