Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2/3 cup sliced onion
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 whole pita breads
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small skillet, saute onion in 2 teaspoons oil until tender; set aside.
- Place pitas on an ungreased baking sheet; brush with remaining oil. Layer with spinach, onion and cheese. Sprinkle with pepper. Bake at 425° for 6-8 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 322 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 528mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Feb 25, 2015
I made this today for lunch, and it is delicious! I adapted the amounts, since I was topping just one whole grain naan rather than 4 pitas. I used all the onion called for, probably 2 cups of spinach that I chopped a bit (regular rather than baby spinach, since I need the potassium), and 1/4 c. of mozzarella. I also only used a bit of olive oil on the bread. Such a quick lunch, and so great! I'll be making this a lot! Oh, and by the way, leftovers taste great cold, right out of the fridge for a snack, too!
Dec 27, 2013
Great, quick lunch or snack! Added a bit of crushed red pepper.
Jun 15, 2011
I make this all the time now it's one of my go-to appetizers so delicious and easy to make!
Jul 17, 2009
These are so good! Even the kids like them. Very light and yummy for a summer meal.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.