Spicy Skeleton Ribs
These ribs are sure to add kick to the party thanks to the haunting combination of spices. This can be served as an appetizer or even a hearty sandwich, depending on the occasion. Let the kids fill up on this before trick-or-treating.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (14 slices each)
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken breast
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 2 tubes (11 ounces each) refrigerated crusty French loaf
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the chicken, water, tomato paste, paprika, lime juice and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf.
- Combine cream cheese and lime zest. On a large piece of foil, roll one tube of bread dough into a 14x10-in. rectangle. Spread with half of cream cheese mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with half of the chicken mixture and shredded cheese.
- Starting with a long side and using foil, fold into thirds. Form a 14x4-in. loaf with a seam along one side. Pinch edges to seal. Transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat. Bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to wire racks. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting into 1-in. slices. Arrange on a large serving platter to resemble ribs with a plastic skull if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 163 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Cajun Chicken "Ribs" in Halloween Party Favorites 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.