Green Chile Ribs
I like my food with a spicy kick; my wife does not. These ribs with green chiles suit her taste. For more firepower, add cayenne or jalapenos. —Guy Newton, Nederland, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 4 pounds pork baby back ribs
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa verde
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Additional minced fresh cilantro
- Cut ribs into serving-size pieces; rub with 1 tablespoon cumin. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown ribs in batches. Place ribs in a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add onion to same pan; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add salsa verde, green chiles, broth, 1/4 cup cilantro, flour, garlic, cayenne and remaining cumin to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until meat is tender. Sprinkle with additional cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 349 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 797mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Green Chili Ribs in Taste of Home February/March 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.