- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Place chicken in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, green peppers, onion, garlic, paprika, salt, cumin and chipotle pepper; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred with two forks and return to the slow cooker. Stir in rice and beans; heat through. Garnish with cheese and sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSpicy Chicken and Rice
"Simple and delicious. I had enough leftovers to make several individual freezer meals for later. Not something I'll make every week, but definitely worth keeping in the recipe file for when the craving hits for chicken, beans and rice."
"I think the recipe was okay, I didn't add the beans so I substituted the beans for green beans. Also someone said you can use 1 cup water and a can of diced tomatoes, though you CAN'T! Do not try that! Other than that it was very tasty and good!"
"I also tweaked the recipe to fit my needs. We are not big eaters and found that one 8 oz. chicken breast was plenty and halved the rest of the ingredients. I did add a chicken boullion cube when I added the tomates. The spices were just right for us. I did not use a slow cooker but cooked on top of the stove for about 2-1/2 hours until the chicken was falling apart. I served the chicken mixture over rice rather than adding the rice to the finished dish. I had enough to serve 4 people."
"Love this recipe. It is a favorite. Lots of flavor. I only use 4 cups of rice instead of 6. I only use one green pepper. I have also put it in a wrap with the cheese and sour cream."
"Needs tweaking, but overall a great, easy recipe. I only had one can of the diced tomatoes, so I added a little extra water. Did not diminish the flavor, though I tweaked that with more salt and a tsp of sage. Sounds weird I know, but the flavor worked to dampen the chipotle and make it more to my families tastes. Used only 2/3rds of the beans and one green pepper. Rice on the side."
"I felt that there was an uneven chicken/rice ratio. Seemed to have more rice than what was necessary. I think I would tweak the recipe a bit and perhaps add chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce instead of ground chipotle pepper and maybe some canned enchilada sauce or something to moisten it up a bit, but the concept is solid and it makes plenty for leftover lunch the next day."
"I love this recipe - my son and husband love it! I didnt do the rice and doubles the black beans. I dont do anything with the cheese or sour cream and serve it with tortilla chips or hard taco shells. I tried to do 1.5 times the recipe and the chicken was not as flavorful. I also added a little more water. LUV LUV LUV this recipe. quick to prepare, healthy and yummy!"
"I did not use the brown rice or black beans and this made a good soft taco filling."
"Even though it doesn't state Gluten Free, this is a wonderful recipe for Gluten Intolerant individuals that like a little spice to their life. My husband loved it! easy to make."