Smoked Pimiento Cheese Crostini
Pimiento cheese has long been a favorite in our family, so these bite-sized appetizers are a treat! I add Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce to give them a little kick. Caramelized onions create another layer of flavor. You can make the cheese and onions three to five days in advance; they store well. If you need to save time, you can use premade jalapeno pimiento cheese. —Caitlyn Bunch, Trenton, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 48 slices French bread baguette (1/4 inch thick)
- CARAMELIZED ONIONS:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash dried rosemary, crushed
- Dash dried thyme
- PIMIENTO CHEESE:
- 2-1/2 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 2-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 jars (4 ounces each) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 9 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place bread on baking sheets. Bake 4-6 minutes or until light brown.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until softened. Stir in broth, vinegar, sugar and seasonings. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 12-15 minutes or until liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, toss cheeses; beat in mayonnaise, pimientos, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce and seasonings. Spread 1 tablespoon mixture over each baguette slice; top with 2 teaspoons onion mixture. Sprinkle with bacon. Bake 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 87 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 174mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Smoked Pimento Cheese Crostini with Onion Confit in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.