Smoked Pimiento Cheese Crostini
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 48 slices French bread baguette (1/4 inch thick)
- CARAMELIZED ONIONS:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash dried rosemary, crushed
- Dash dried thyme
- PIMIENTO CHEESE:
- 2-1/2 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 2-1/2 Kerrygold cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 jars (4 ounces each) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 9 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place bread on baking sheets. Bake 4-6 minutes or until light brown.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until softened. Stir in broth, vinegar, sugar and seasonings. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 12-15 minutes or until liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, toss cheeses; beat in mayonnaise, pimientos, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce and seasonings. Spread 1 tablespoon mixture over each baguette slice; top with 2 teaspoons onion mixture. Sprinkle with bacon. Bake 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 87 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 174mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 2, 2019
I made these for a Labor Day cookout and they were a hit! The entire tray was gone within minutes. The combination of cheeses paired with the saltiness of the bacon and pimientos was amazing. Plus the tartness of the caramelized onions was a bonus. I highly recommend making this the next time you have a crowd!
Jun 17, 2019
I really don't entertain much, so I have no reason to make 4 dozen crostini. But I thought the cheese spread recipe sounded intriguing and decided to make it and try it out as a grilled cheese sandwich filling. I used Hormel real bacon bits. It was really excellent, maybe a little spicier than we normally like, but my husband loved it.
Jun 6, 2019
Love this recipe