Slow-Cooker Country Captain Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup golden raisins or raisins
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Hot cooked rice
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Place onion, pepper and garlic in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Arrange chicken pieces over vegetables.
- Whisk the next 5 ingredients with the chicken broth. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Add raisins and tomatoes. Reduce heat to low and cook until chicken reaches 165°, 2-1/2 hours. Serve over rice; if desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 298 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 5, 2018
Easy. Great flavor. Family loved it. Used egg noodles and a spoon to get every drop.
Nov 24, 2018
I'm not sure what everyone else did to this recipe, but mine turned out delicious and had even more flavor the second and third day!! I served it over rice. *the only thing different I did, was add more curry because I love it
Nov 19, 2018
Linus - Regardless of whether or not you personally liked or disliked the dish, your comment was rude and ignorant.
Nov 18, 2018
This is what the family said: not really sure what the chicken stuff is or what's going on with it,but it's good and we like it. It's spicy and sweet. What is it ? Is it Indian? African?
Nov 18, 2018
This is the worst recipe that I have ever made. It tasted so bitter and overwhelming that it went from the slow cooker to the garbage. I consider myself a very good cook and this looked like a good recipe to me. I don’t remember EVER throwing away an entire dinner, but this was terrible and there was nothing I could do to it to “rescue it.” If I could give this negative stars, I would.