Slow-Cooked Southwest Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 jar (8 ounces) chunky salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Lime wedge and fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- In a 2- or 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the beans, broth, tomatoes, chicken, salsa, corn and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165°.
- Shred chicken with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Serve with rice. If desired, serve with lime wedges and fresh cilantro. Freeze option: After shredding chicken, freeze cooled mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 320 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 873mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 8g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 17, 2018
We eat this often. One major change I make to the recipe is that I do it in my electric pressure cooker and use frozen chicken thighs. I cook the thighs first on the "Chicken' setting (20 minutes) then add the rest of the ingredients and cook again on the "Chicken" setting. I use Chicken thighs. The last time I used Mango Salsa
Jun 29, 2018
This was pretty good as is, but it needed a little something else for our liking. So I added some salt and garlic powder and it was delicious. Served over rice and everyone loved it.
Aug 29, 2017
The whole family enjoyed this. I was not expecting my 11 and 8 years old to really like it, but they both said they would eat it again. Loved adding just a little sour cream with it. Definitely a win for how fast it came together in the slow cooker.
Jul 5, 2015
I cut this recipe in fourths. We are vegetarians, so for the chicken, I used Quorn Jalapeno Stuffed Veggie Chicken. I added a hot salsa and cannelli beans and served it over fresh cheese tortellini. It was delicious. Thank you, Brandi, for sharing your recipe.
May 4, 2015
Good base to change to your own families taste
Nov 2, 2014
I made this today. My husband really liked it. We added it to tortillas with sour cream and Mexican blend cheese. It cooked for 12 hours on low but I put the chicken in frozen. It probably didn't need to cook for 12 hours but something came up. I didn't have a can of rotel so I used one can of diced tomatoes and a small can of green chilies. I also added some cilantro and ancho chili powder as recommended below. To lower the sodium I used bush's sodium beans and they stayed intact.
Sep 30, 2014
It was good, not great. Kind of "bland" but haven't figured out how to spice it up.
Jan 18, 2014
Easy to make. I blended the salsa and Rotel because the kids don't like "chunks". They all loved it. Served over rice
Jul 24, 2013
So simple and easy! The beans and corn made such a filling, flavorful salsa that I didn't even serve with the rice.
Feb 21, 2013
Easy to make as I had all of the ingredients in the pantry. Decent dish, I'll definitely make it again if I'm short on time. Thanks for the recipe!