Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 7 hours
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil until lightly browned. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until chicken and vegetables are tender. Stir before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 143 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 364mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Aug 16, 2015
Delicious! No need to saut? chicken in oil first. I just put everything in the slow cooker!
Sep 26, 2014
For it being a 'Southwestern". I felt it lacked flavor prepared as directed. I spiced it up some by adding 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper and 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes. Also added 2 cups of black beans. After all what's Southwestern with out them. Served with corn tortillas 1/4's. I also omitted the oil. I always try to keep grilled chicken strips in the freezer so I used that instead. This recipe is a good base to start with though.
Jan 10, 2014
Very easy recipe to throw together though it took me longer than the ten minutes of prep stated. I used partially thawed chicken breasts and found that it was much easier to slice thin strips than when slicing chicken that was completely thawed. To save calories and cut fat I did not use any canola oil but instead sprayed the pan with nonstick cooking spray. There was enough moisture in the partially frozen chicken that it compensated for the lack of oil. I had also diced the peppers ahead of time so that all I had to do when mixing ingredients was dump it in the slow cooker. Taste was pretty mild for a southwestern flavor. I served the soup with whole wheat tortilla strips that I baked in a 350 degree oven for about 6 minutes until they were crisp and golden. My husband added shredded cheese to his soup and liked it. This is a healthy, easy soup that I will definitely make again. I may sprinkle chopped cilantro on top to garnish and kick up the flavor and add a dollop of fat free or low fat sour cream to each serving next time. If you like spicier flavors, try adding a dash or two of hot sauce.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.