Crispy bread replaces the classic tortilla chips and savory meat sauce tops things off. This hearty appetizer easily doubles as a main dish. Add a salad and you have dinner. —Sonya Labbe, West Hollywood, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 48 slices French bread baguette (1/4 inch thick)
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the first five ingredients over medium heat until beef is no longer pink; drain. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Stir in basil.
- Rub baguette slices with garlic halves; place on ungreased baking sheets. Brush lightly with oil. Bake at 400° for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Arrange toast on serving platters; top with beef mixture and cheese. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 212 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 455mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.