Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- On a floured surface, roll crust to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim and flute edge. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°. For filling, mix brown sugar, molasses, egg, flour and baking soda. Gradually stir in boiling water; cool completely.
- Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 15 minutes. Remove foil and pie weights; brush crust with egg yolk. Bake 5 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- In another bowl, whisk together first four topping ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add filling to crust; sprinkle with topping. Cover edge of pie with foil.
- Bake until filling is set and golden brown, 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteLet pie weights cool before storing. Beans and rice may be reused for pie weights, but not for cooking.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 540 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 630mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 1, 2018
mbhtheduke, You didn't put it in the microwave I hope. I've never heard of a pie exploding in the oven. Boil over maybe.
Jan 16, 2013
Recipe was wonderful! Couldn't figure out what you meant about "lining pastry" at first and nearly gave up; then I decided to go for it and lined it with another pie pan and cover the edges with a protector. THIS PIE IS EXCELLENT! No over spilling or mess (even though I put a cookie sheet underneath just in case). Just wonderful all around. Thanks for sharing :)
Dec 15, 2009
The Pie Exploded all over the place
Mar 9, 2008
This is very good. I will be making this one from now on. Awesome!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.