Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- On a floured surface, roll dough to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim and flute edge. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°. For filling, mix brown sugar, molasses, egg, flour and baking soda. Gradually stir in boiling water; cool completely.
- Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 15 minutes. Remove foil and pie weights; brush crust with egg yolk. Bake 5 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- In another bowl, whisk together first four topping ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add filling to crust; sprinkle with topping. Cover edge of pie with foil.
- Bake until filling is set and golden brown, 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteLet pie weights cool before storing. Beans and rice may be reused for pie weights, but not for cooking.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 540 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 630mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 10, 2018
This was the first time I tried this pie, it's absolutely delicious! I was worried about the amount of flour in the topping but it's perfectly fine. So happy I decided to make it. Thanks so much.
Jul 1, 2018
mbhtheduke, You didn't put it in the microwave I hope. I've never heard of a pie exploding in the oven. Boil over maybe.
Jan 16, 2013
Recipe was wonderful! Couldn't figure out what you meant about "lining pastry" at first and nearly gave up; then I decided to go for it and lined it with another pie pan and cover the edges with a protector. THIS PIE IS EXCELLENT! No over spilling or mess (even though I put a cookie sheet underneath just in case). Just wonderful all around. Thanks for sharing :)
Dec 15, 2009
The Pie Exploded all over the place
Mar 9, 2008
This is very good. I will be making this one from now on. Awesome!!!!