Savory Dutch Baby
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 8 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a 12-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add shallot; cook and stir until tender, 1-2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and milk until blended. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; stir in thyme. Pour batter into hot pan; sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake until puffed and sides are golden brown and crisp, 20-25 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 343 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 290mg cholesterol, 542mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 15g protein.
May 27, 2020
I followed recipe exactly. It reminded me of our Yorkshire that we have been making for years, probably my favorite side dish. This was a different version using a higher ratio of eggs and Parm. This will definitely be added into our side dish repertoire. Hubby and I were mesmerized watching it through the oven door as it puffed up, and up, and up on the sides up like a science experiment that could go wrong, but it didn’t. LOL It came out oh so right, it made a show stopping presentation when it came out as those puffy sides came out a beautiful golden brown. The outside was crispy and flaky, the inside was dense and bready goodness. In case you couldn’t tell we absolutely loved it!