Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) sliced beets
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Drain beets, reserving 1 cup liquid. In a saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute onion until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in reserved beet liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and beets; heat through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 118 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 717mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jan 24, 2014
These were OK, nothing really spectacular about the flavour and I thought the sauce should be a bit thicker.
Apr 7, 2013
Very good. I live in PA and Harvard Beets (aka Dutch beets) are very similar to this. I like this recipe a little better since it does not have too much vinegar. Will be making again. Great for Easter holiday.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.