Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) sliced beets
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Drain beets, reserving 1 cup liquid. In a saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute onion until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in reserved beet liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and beets; heat through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 118 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 717mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 24, 2014
These were OK, nothing really spectacular about the flavour and I thought the sauce should be a bit thicker.
Apr 7, 2013
Very good. I live in PA and Harvard Beets (aka Dutch beets) are very similar to this. I like this recipe a little better since it does not have too much vinegar. Will be making again. Great for Easter holiday.