Dutch Spinach Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 to 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 4 cups torn spinach greens
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- In a small frying pan, cook bacon until crisp. Do not drain. In a 1-cup measure, place egg, sugar, vinegar and enough water to measure 3/4 cup; pour over bacon and grease.
- Cook and stir until dressing thickness. Season to taste. Pour hot dressing over greens and onion. Toss; garnish with egg slices. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 198 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 171mg cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 9, 2017
This warm salad was a really pleasant surprise over typical wilted salads. Like the previous reviewer, I was worried about the egg setting while cooking, so instead of lightly beating, I beat it until creamy and cooked the dressing at a very low simmer. The result was fantastic. I'll definitely be doing this again. Would love to try this dressing in a potato salad.
Sep 16, 2014
I was kind of worried about the egg in the mixture to put in the pan and it did streak a little. It was very good. I also used a 10 oz bag of spinach. I kind of worried it was too much. It came out very nice and everybody loved it. I will definitely make this again.