Chocolate Chip Dutch Baby
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- DUTCH BABY:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Maple syrup and additional butter, optional
- In a small bowl, combine chocolate chips and brown sugar; set aside. In a small bowl, beat the flour, eggs, cream, nutmeg and cinnamon until smooth.
- Place butter in a 9-in. pie plate or an 8-in. cast-iron skillet. Heat in a 425° oven for 4 minutes or until melted. Pour batter into hot pie plate or skillet. Sprinkle with chocolate chip mixture. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until top edges are golden brown. Serve immediately with syrup and butter if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 313 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 144mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Feb 18, 2017
My mother frequently asks for this recipe when she's in the mood for something special - it's a breakfast favorite! The batter is very thin, but puffs up and may have a variable thickness throughout, however a shallow pie dish is just fine. It is very buttery. The mini chocolate chips contribute to the overall sweetness of the pancake, which can be served with a variety of additions: a fruit sauce, cream, powdered sugar or even a delicate drizzling of maple syrup. However, this is plenty sweet on its own -- unlike most pancakes, these are sweet enough to stand alone.The ease and speed of this dutch baby gives it an advantage over ordinary pancakes.
Sep 11, 2014
Yummy with coffee!
Aug 21, 2011
My family really enjoyed this. We did not add any syrup, it was sweet enough w/o it.
Jul 8, 2011
This was WAY TOO SWEET!!! I even made it with milk instead of half and half to lessen the richness of it. My kids loved it but what kids don't love a ton of sugar for breakfast? Yuck! Will not be making it again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.