I was born and raised in Holland, where we used almond paste quite often in our baking. I created this recipe to capture the outstanding flavors of home.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (8 ounces) almond paste, cut into cubes
- Sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Gradually add the flour. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of ungreased miniature muffin cups; set aside.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Add sugar until blended. Beat in the almond paste. Spoon a rounded teaspoonful into each cup; top each with three almond slices.
- Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and filling is set. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.