Rum-Glazed Pumpkin Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground cloves
- 1/2 cup rum
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan; sprinkle pecans onto bottom of pan.
- In a large bowl, beat pumpkin, sugar, oil, eggs and water until well blended. In another bowl, whisk cake mix and spices; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, butter, cinnamon and cloves; cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat. Stir in rum; cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer or until sugar is dissolved.
- Gradually brush glaze onto warm cake, about 1/4 cup at a time, allowing glaze to soak into cake before adding more. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 352 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 113mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 23, 2017
I made this today for Thanksgiving. It was delicious! Everyone loved it. The only thing I would like to change is some how get more of the rum glaze into the cake. I'm going try glazing it some on the bottom of the cake before taking it out of the bundt pan next time. I'm also going to try poking little holes in the top with a toothpick before glazing next time. Another idea I have is rehydrating some raisins in some rum and serve the cake warm with vanilla ice cream with the raisins sprinkled over the top. Wow...does that sound good!!!
Feb 22, 2017
The best moist and yummy cake. never anything left but crumbs!!
Nov 28, 2016
This was SO good! I was a little worried it would come out dry but boy was I wrong! I followed the recipe exactly except that I only baked mine for about 45-46 minutes (my oven runs a bit hot) and I also added raisins to half (only half in case it tasted bad). The cake was so moist and the raisins were a good addition! The night before serving, I poked holes on it and slathered the glaze on. Then the next morning slathered more on. I put a bit more on before serving and brought the glaze to the table so others can add more to their slice if they wish. The rum flavor was at first a bit overwhelming, but then you put it on top of the cake and it blends nicely. A really good cake (definitely agree with the other person who said it's almost like a spice cake), and a great glaze. I might even try a different flavor cake mix next time.
Nov 1, 2015
Very easy to make...was a great cake for our Halloween "picnic". Best part....leftover slice with coffee for early morning snack :-) Next time I would probably pour the glaze over the cake while still in the pan. It runs off too much otherwise. I have a recipe that is very similar for a plain rum cake and this method works great for it.
Oct 30, 2015
Loved this, made 6 mini bundts and then held each upside down in a bowl with the glaze. It really soaked in. THEN, I served it with crushed heath bars, whipped cream and salted caramel topping (Smuckers). Everyone wanted the recipe. Next time (this weekend I plan to make the large bundt, and poke holes to pour the glaze into the cake.Thanks for a great recipe!
Sep 30, 2015
I would love to try this recipe however, any suggestions to substitute rum abstract for the alcohol. If yes, how much extract? I look forward to any responses.Thanks,Gee
Dec 26, 2014
Very moist. But the pumpkin flavor is subtle, and the rum is only in the glaze. I personally wouldn't use the words Pumpkin or Rum in the name of this recipe, because neither really stood out. Its more like a holiday spice cake. It reminds me more of coffee cake than actual cake.
Nov 11, 2014
Delicious!! So easy to make and it was gone after I took it to work! We used all the glaze and would like to have used more pecans. Will probably add more next time.
Sep 18, 2014
MAKING THIS DESSERT WAS A 'PIECE OF CAKE". SO EASY AND S0-0-0-0-0- GOOD. NEEDED A DESERT FOR A DINNER PARTY AND GOT RAVE REVIEWS FOR THIS EASY TO MAKE CAKE. NO ONE GUESSED THAT A YELLOW CAKE MIX WAS THE BASE FOR THIS AWESOME DESSERT. NEXT TIME, MIGHT ADD CHOPPED PECANS TO THE CAKE BATTER. THIS IS MY NEW GO TO CAKE FOR THE FOR THE FALL SEASON. ITS DELICIOUS.
Feb 16, 2014
Wonderful and easy to make. I didn't use all of the glaze as I felt it would be too much.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.