Roasted Eggplant Spread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large sweet red peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Toasted baguette slices or assorted crackers
- Preheat oven to 400°. Mix first four ingredients. Place vegetables in a large bowl; toss with oil mixture. Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. pan coated with cooking spray. Roast vegetables until softened and lightly browned, 45-50 minutes, stirring once.
- Transfer to a food processor; cool slightly. Add tomato paste; pulse just until blended (mixture should be chunky).
- Transfer to a bowl; cool completely. Serve with toasted baguette.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup spread: 84 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jul 22, 2019
Delicious spread for crackers or Italian bread! Roasting the veggies gives it a nice sweetness. I made the recipe exactly as written. This spread is similar to caponata, but without the sweet and sour element. This spread would work great on sandwiches too. Will definitely keep this one handy!
Sep 25, 2018
This recipe is easy to make and it is a delicious appetizer on bread or crackers. I made no changes.
Aug 28, 2013
I wing recipes, don't measure much. Used more garlic than called for, and added about 2 tsp cumin powder when blending. Nice flavors, not difficult.
Dec 5, 2012
I love this recipe ~ and the best part is it is super easy to make
Nov 4, 2012
This was good. I liked the combination of flavors.
Jul 21, 2012
Good flavor, next time I might add a little chili powder, cumin and red pepper for a little more kick. But otherwise, a great all-veggie dip and a nice alternative to high-fat dips.