Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup chopped ripe olives
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- French bread baguettes, sliced and toasted
- In a Dutch oven, saute eggplant in 1/4 cup oil until tender. Remove from the pan and set aside. In the same pan, saute onions and celery in remaining oil until tender. Stir in tomatoes and eggplant. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add the olives, vinegar, sugar, capers, salt and pepper. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until thickened. Serve warm or at room temperature with baguettes.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 57 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 134mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
May 29, 2012
Excellent! I've been searching for a good and easy recipe for caponata for a long time, and I finally found it. Thanks so much for sharing!
Oct 17, 2010
Yum! I added garlic and red pepper and left out the olives and capers. This was delicious!
Aug 21, 2010
Just simply delicious!!
Jul 28, 2010
GREAT TASTING ONLY THING I DID DIFFERENT WAS ADDED FRSH GARLIC AND BASIL TO AT THE END AND TOP THE BREAD OFF WITH A LIITLE FRESH PARMESAN CHEESE MAID IT EXTRA YUMMY
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.