Macadamia-Crusted Mahi Mahi
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 mahi mahi fillets (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- Place the bread crumbs, nuts, salt and pepper in a food processor; cover and pulse until nuts are finely chopped.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and water. Place flour and nut mixture in separate shallow bowls. Coat fillets with flour, then dip in egg mixture and coat with nut mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook fillets for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the brown sugar, soy sauce and ginger. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 30-60 seconds or until sugar is dissolved. Drizzle over fish.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 466 calories, 29g fat (4g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 644mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Apr 14, 2018
This was a fantastic recipe! Even my husband who doesn't care for fish ate it with relish! I soaked the Mahi Mahi in coconut milk for a couple of hours beforehand (based on another similar recipe I'd made in the past) and skipped the flour and egg treatment before sauteing, and the panko/macadamia mixture held just fine (plus the coconut milk gives it a nice added dimension). The sauce was an excellent addition, although I thought it was a bit sweet so will probably cut the brown sugar in half next time. This was a quick, easy and DELICIOUS recipe!
Mar 29, 2014
Made this last week for my family. We all liked it. My son-in-law said it was resturant quality. High praise indeed. I get my best recipes from Taste of Home. Everyone love the " Best Ever Banana Bread" recipe.
Feb 16, 2014
I have used this with Walleye too! This was outstanding. The fish was super moist and very flavorful. I used 5oz pieces of Mahi Mahi. I cooked them for 3 minutes on each side and temped them at 135*F. They were a perfect 140 when I served. I cut the entire recipe in half except for the drizzle.
Sep 26, 2013
Yum! Everyone loved this even the kids which do not like fish at all. I followed the recipe to a T and it turned out great and the sauce was a great accent.
Jul 4, 2012
This recipe is incredible! I made it first time for guests and family - ALL loved it and all wanted seconds. Very flavorful. I can't rave enough about it. The only thing I did differently was grill it on the bbq on foil to reduce the fat content. Out of this world good! My husband specifically requested that I save this recipe!!
Jan 15, 2011
This recipe was excellent!! I couldn't believe what a wonderful flavor it had. I enjoyed every bite. I made more than needed so the next day I microwaved the fish and put it over salad greens and it was so tasty. I didn’t need any salad dressing because the fish had enough flavor. I highly recommend this recipe!
May 14, 2010
This was fabulous! The fish was so flaky and the breading was so good we didn't even want to use the sauce.
Dec 2, 2009
Absolutely delicious and fairly easy to make. Even my 14 month old enjoyed it!
Nov 27, 2009
This recipe is so good! I actually made it with chicken breasts because I do not care for fish. Rather than pan fry, I baked the chicken at 350 for an hour and WOW! The results were amazing. The chicken was so moist! Definitely a recipe that I will make over and over again!