Pineapple & Macadamia Nut Cake
This delicious cake is one of my own invention. It's been a huge hit among family and friends and even inspired fierce bidding at a local charity auction! —Greta Kirby, Carthage, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package white or yellow cake mix, regular size
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Additional chopped macadamia nuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine cake mix, pineapple juice, oil and eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into three greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, combine sugar and flour in a large saucepan. Whisk in egg yolks, butter and pineapple until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature. Reserve 1/3 cup pineapple mixture for frosting; gently stir nuts into remaining pineapple mixture.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer.
- For frosting, cream butter, confectioners' sugar, reserved pineapple mixture and enough milk to reach a spreading consistency. Spread over top and sides of cake. If desired, chop and toast additional nuts; sprinkle on top and around bottom of cake.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 457 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as HAWAIIAN PINEAPPLE MACADAMIA NUT CAKE in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017