Red-Hot Gelatin Salad
“This is my grandma’s recipe,” writes Paula Ptomey of Porterville, California. “My mother makes this salad just about every year during the holidays. It has a spicy cinnamon taste that is really good. Even my daughter, who is a picky eater, likes it.”
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 package (3 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water, divided
- 1/4 cup red-hot candies
- 1/4 cup plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cold water
- 1 cup chopped tart apples
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in 1 cup boiling water. In another bowl, dissolve red-hots in remaining water; stir into gelatin. Stir in cold water. Refrigerate until slightly thickened, about 1 hour.
- Fold in the apples, celery and walnuts. Pour into a 4-cup mold coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
Originally published as Cinnamon Apple Gelatin in Quick Cooking November/December 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.