Ravioli with Shrimp Tomato Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole clove
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (9 ounces each) fresh or frozen cheese ravioli
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Place tomatoes in a blender, cover and process until pureed; add to onion mixture. Stir in the brown sugar, bay leaf, clove, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook ravioli according to package directions. Remove and discard bay leaf and clove from the sauce. Reduce heat; gradually stir in cream. Add shrimp; heat through. Drain ravioli; top with the sauce, cheese and chives.
May 30, 2012
My family loves this dish.
Apr 4, 2011
Gave this recipe to several friends. It is now a regular. PS: Add 1/4 vodka to the onions and flour for pasta a la vodka twist. very good adult fare
Apr 3, 2011
This recipe was good...a nice alternative to ravioli with plain sauce.
Oct 10, 2010
This was amazing - great flavor!! I used my own homegrown tomatoes and made an italian sauce with them, other than that left the recipe as is. Will definitely make again. My husband couldn't stop raving about the taste. Oh and since I am on low carb diet I served it over fresh spinach and diced yellow peppers that I had steamed (rather than the pasta).
Sep 6, 2010
Excellent! My family love it, even my 7 yr old who is picky about everything. She asked for extra sauce on the side to dip her bread.
Oct 31, 2009
Just reviewed this dish and forgot to mention that it is a 5 star dish. I can't get the stars to move forward. Sorry!
Oct 31, 2009
Excellent dish. Flavorful and really tasty. Not difficult to make either. Yummy!
Oct 6, 2009
Wow! This is fantastic, I can't wait to make it again.
Aug 20, 2009
This was so good! It tasted exactly like something you would get at olive garden. I cant wait to make it again for my husband. Thanks so much for sharing this.
Jun 11, 2009
Fast and good. I served over plain pasta and substituted half & half for heavy cream, and fresh shrimp for cooked. My husband suggested I add more shrimp next time.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.