Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese ravioli
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Additional minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, parsley, garlic, basil, sugar, oregano, onion salt, salt, pepper and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cook ravioli according to package directions; drain. Add to soup and heat through. Stir in the Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with additional parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 235 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 542mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Sep 16, 2017
Made this soup as a test run for a soup party I'll be attending in October. Glad I tried it before the party. As the recipe is written, it is not soup. It is a very tomato-y , thick sauce with too little pasta. I made it again with a few alterations: I deleted the tomato paste, used only one 28-oz crushed tomatoes and added 2 to 2-1/2 cups chicken broth. This cut down on the sauce-like taste and consistency. I also added another pkg of ravioli. With these alterations it's more like soup and had a better flavor.
Jan 6, 2014
Made this soup for the first time tonight. I didnt think of it as a soup. 1st, it was more like a pasta sauce with ravioli. 2nd, there wasnt enought ravioli for all that sauce. The taste was good, but still not the consistency of soup. Next time I will halve the the tomatoes and add chicken broth to make it more like soup.
Feb 21, 2013
I really loved the sauce that makes up the soup!! The flavor was excellent, and even my little girl said it was very good! :)
Oct 9, 2012
very good everyone liked it.
Apr 1, 2012
The soup had a good flavor, but more to the consistency of a spagetti pasta than a soup. Probably would not make it again as a soup.
Feb 23, 2012
Great thick and flavorful soup! I halved the recipe to feed my family of 6. I only had cheese tortellini on hand so I used that instead of ravioli and used the whole 9 oz. packages, the amount was perfect. I left out the tomato paste and used a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes and added 1/2 cup beef broth and enough water to equal a soupish consistency. Very yummy, and super easy! :D
Feb 18, 2012
I made this recipe as written with the following exceptions: onion powder instead of onion, dried parsley, and a 24 oz. bag of frozen ravioli. It made a nice, thick soup with plenty of ravioli. Will definitely make again.
Jan 3, 2012
I doubled this recipe and there was NONE left!! This was wonderful!!
Feb 15, 2011
I absolutely loved this <3 Nothing bad to say about it :) Very easy to make.
Nov 7, 2010
I thought that this recipe was fantastic! I used fresh basil (about 6 large leafs, chopped) and I also added a cup of chicken broth and 3/4 cup of cream (half and half) and about double the garlic, and it made it even better!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.