- 4 delicata squash (about 12 ounces each)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas, toasted
- Preheat oven to 450°. Cut each squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Lightly brush cut sides with 1 teaspoon oil; sprinkle with pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place on a baking sheet, cut side down. Bake 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine broth and quinoa; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in chickpeas, cranberries, green onion, sage, lemon peel, lemon juice and the remaining oil and salt; spoon into squash. Sprinkle with cheese and pumpkin seeds. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forQuinoa-Stuffed Squash Boats
"My grocery store didn't have delicata squash, so I used the recommended substitute of acorn squash. It was really filling for a vegetarian main dish! The quinoa and chickpea mixture on its own saved very well and we really liked the crunch from the pumpkin seeds."