Beef and Potato Boats
Total TimePrep: 1 hour 20 min. + cooling Bake: 20 min.
- 4 large baking potatoes (8 to 10 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Wash potato skins and prick with a fork. Bake at 400° for 60-70 minutes or until tender; cool. Cut a thin slice off the top of each potato. Carefully scoop out the pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. In a large bowl, mash the pulp with butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and milk; set aside.
- In a large saucepan cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Cool 10 minutes. Add bacon, sour cream and remaining salt.
- Spoon into potato shells. Top each with a fourth of the mashed potato mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Place potatoes on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 428 calories, 28g fat (15g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 1091mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 23, 2017
My husband and I thought these were pretty good. We both felt like it turned out a little dry, and just a tad bland. I added more cheese and that did the trick. Next time I will put extra cheese inside the potato before filling it with the beef mixture, then maybe stirring the cheese topping in with the mashed mixture. I too used real bacon bits, I didn't fry up bacon. Because of the amount of time it took overall, I might not make this again, but it was a decent meal.
Nov 7, 2012
I added some gravy and veggies and pretty much made sheppards pie in a potatoe skin shell. Viola. No leftovers.
May 15, 2012
This was so easy to prepare and tasted great. I served it with red skin mashed potatoes and a vegetable. My husband really enjoyed it as well. It is a keeper.
Dec 29, 2009
I really enjoy this meal. It has everything my family likes. I make it with the real bacon bits instead of frying up bacon.
Nov 24, 2009
My whole family loves this recipe! Quick and easy to make with ingredients I have around most of the time!