Beef and Potato Boats
Total TimePrep: 1 hour 20 min. + cooling Bake: 20 min.
- 4 large baking potatoes (8 to 10 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Wash potato skins and prick with a fork. Bake at 400° for 60-70 minutes or until tender; cool. Cut a thin slice off the top of each potato. Carefully scoop out the pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. In a large bowl, mash the pulp with butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and milk; set aside.
- In a large saucepan cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Cool 10 minutes. Add bacon, sour cream and remaining salt.
- Spoon into potato shells. Top each with a fourth of the mashed potato mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Place potatoes on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 428 calories, 28g fat (15g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 1091mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
May 23, 2017
My husband and I thought these were pretty good. We both felt like it turned out a little dry, and just a tad bland. I added more cheese and that did the trick. Next time I will put extra cheese inside the potato before filling it with the beef mixture, then maybe stirring the cheese topping in with the mashed mixture. I too used real bacon bits, I didn't fry up bacon. Because of the amount of time it took overall, I might not make this again, but it was a decent meal.
Nov 7, 2012
I added some gravy and veggies and pretty much made sheppards pie in a potatoe skin shell. Viola. No leftovers.
May 15, 2012
This was so easy to prepare and tasted great. I served it with red skin mashed potatoes and a vegetable. My husband really enjoyed it as well. It is a keeper.
Dec 29, 2009
I really enjoy this meal. It has everything my family likes. I make it with the real bacon bits instead of frying up bacon.
Nov 24, 2009
My whole family loves this recipe! Quick and easy to make with ingredients I have around most of the time!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.