Scented Rice in Baked Pumpkin
This easy, delicious and healthy side is a showpiece that always delights. You can use grain, squash, fruits and nuts to suite your taste—it's impossible to go wrong! —Lynn Heisel, Jackson, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 small pie pumpkin (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 dried apricots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Wash pumpkin; cut into 6 wedges. Remove loose fibers and seeds from the inside, and discard seeds or save them for toasting. Brush wedges with oil. Place on an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in the pecans, apricots, raisins, salt, curry, cinnamon and, if desired, cardamom.
- Set 4 pumpkin wedges aside for another use. Sprinkle cumin onto remaining wedges; top with rice mixture.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 each: 389 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 309mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.