Portobello Mushroom Burgers
Use a grill rack or secure onions with wooden toothpicks to keep them from separating during grilling.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 4 slices onion (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 onion rolls, split
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine 1/4 cup oil and 2 tablespoons vinegar; add onion slices. Seal bag and turn to coat; marinate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the garlic, basil and remaining oil. Brush over both sides of mushroom caps; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring honey and remaining vinegar to a boil; cook for 5 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.
- Drain and discard marinade from onions. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill onions and mushrooms over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 10-12 minutes or until tender, turning frequently.
- Serve on rolls with lettuce, tomato and mozzarella. Drizzle with reserved balsamic-honey sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 521 calories, 33g fat (9g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 344mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Portobello Mushroom Burger in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy 2005