Pork Chops and Sauerkraut
My mother learned to make this dish when she was a young girl in Germany. Typically, we’d eat it with plain boiled potatoes, but for a treat, she’d serve it with steamed dumplings. Whenever I cook this, the wonderful aroma brings back many warm memories. —Erika Taylor, Hopedale, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 minutes
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 red apple, chopped
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, optional
- In a skillet, brown pork chops in oil. Stir in the onion, broth, caraway seeds, pepper and celery seed. Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until tender. Add sauerkraut and apple.
- Cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Before serving, sprinkle with bacon if desired.
Originally published as Pork Chops and Sauerkraut in Reminisce March/April 1993
Mar 4, 2014
This was very good. My son's first attempt at making pork chops. It was simple enough for him and the ingredients were all on hand.
May 26, 2012
Very good. I have been making it for years.My husband likes it.