- 1-1/4 cups fresh or frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup cherry preserves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 12 center-cut bacon strips
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2-1/4 pounds ground pork
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 ounces Havarti cheese, sliced
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 3 cups fresh arugula
- Place the first seven ingredients in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add cherry mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the pork, pepper and salt. Shape into six patties.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- Top with cheese; cover and grill 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve on buns with arugula, bacon and sauce mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forPork Burgers with Sassy Barbecue Sauce
"This is soooo good. Love the use of the cheeries. It really bumps this up giving it a rich flavor !"
"yummy!! I do not eat spicy foods normally, but this was awesome. The heat dissipated immediately."
"I have not tried these yet, but I intend to as soon as I go to the store. They sound great..I especially like the idea of the fruit in them."