This pie's light, creamy filling and refreshing pineapple flavor could very well make this old favorite a new classic in your recipe box.—Carolyn Redmon, Sanger, Texas
Recommended: 50 Vintage Desserts Worth Trying Today
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice *TK is this one can?*
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1-1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 45 wafers)
- 1/3 cup butter
- Combine the x crumbs, sugar and butter; press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes (reader says 1 hour). . . . Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- **In a saucepan, combine the gelatin, sugar and salt. Add milk and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and gelatin is dissolved. Remove from the heat; add juices and peel. Chill until partially set.
- Fold in whipped cream and chill until mixture mounds. Spoon into pie shell; chill thoroughly. Garnish with orange slices and mint if desired. ref 3853
Originally published as Pineapple Chiffon Pie in Country Woman December/January 2009, p20