Pineapple Chiffon Cake with Pineapple Frosting
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, pineapple juice, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake onto a wire rack; cool completely. Remove cake to a serving platter.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Stir in pineapple. Frost cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 406 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 12, 2018
This is a superb recipe, and is the nearest to a torte my Mom used to buy as a special treat from the French patisserie near where we lived in Toronto. I made it recently for the first time (it was really easy!) for the birthday party of a friend, and all of them were completely smitten.