Pineapple Chiffon Cake with Pineapple Frosting
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, pineapple juice, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake onto a wire rack; cool completely. Remove cake to a serving platter.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Stir in pineapple. Frost cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 406 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 12, 2018
This is a superb recipe, and is the nearest to a torte my Mom used to buy as a special treat from the French patisserie near where we lived in Toronto. I made it recently for the first time (it was really easy!) for the birthday party of a friend, and all of them were completely smitten.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.