Pesto Pasta & Potatoes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds small red potatoes, halved
- 12 ounces uncooked whole grain spiral pasta
- 3 cups cut fresh or frozen green beans
- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) prepared pesto
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 8-10 minutes. Drain; transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, adding green beans during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup pasta water; add to potatoes. Toss with pesto, cheese and enough pasta water to moisten.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 261 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
Feb 10, 2020
I'm confused. This is listed as a diabetic friendly dish, and yet, two main ingredients are pasta and potatoes. I'm not sure how it made this list. As someone who has Type 2 diabetes this dish would shoot my sugar levels through the roof.
Jul 4, 2019
Amazing. Making this for the 2nd time today. Great dish for a party.
Dec 13, 2018
I haven’t made a lot of pesto dishes. This was refreshing and delicious!
Apr 17, 2017
This was a unique side dish! We ate in shifts the night I served it and it was just as good room temp as it was hot! Can't wait to try the leftovers cold!
Sep 4, 2015
I made this recently with a couple of small changes. I didn't use whole grain pasta as my family doesn't like the texture. I used regular as well. Also, I used homemade pesto, made with my current bounty of basil in the garden. We ate it as a meatless main dish and our family of three adults loved it. I'll definitely make it again. I normally freeze lots of homemade pesto at the end of summer and this will be a great way to use it up over the winter.
May 15, 2015
Why just 4 stars Beema? Everything you said was positive. Love this recipe for a different change of pace.
Oct 21, 2014
This was good. I used frozen green beans but I would have preferred fresh if I had them on hand.
May 14, 2014
I used the same water for all and didn't notice. Added strips of leftover bbq chicken for a great main dish. Quick, inexpensive, easy, different and healthy. Have to give it a 5!
May 2, 2014
I made this with the fresh green beans, cut into smaller pieces than the photo shows, and using just one pound of potatoes. I cut them into quarters. Not usually fond of pesto, I found that it works very well in this recipe. Next time I make this recipe I will add small bits of ham, which will make it a meal, and not a side. As a volunteer Taste of Home field editor, I rate this four stars.