- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, combine the soup, milk, salt and cayenne; set aside. Place a third of the potatoes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; layer with a third of the butter, flour and soup mixture. Repeat layers twice. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forPeppery Scalloped Potatoes
"Excellent! Didn't have Creme of Mushroom so used Creme of Asparagus. Mixed the flour, butter in with the milk and soup mix. Added onions when I layered in the ingredients. Topped it with 2 - 3/4" thick pork chops. (The way Mom used to do it!) Drizzled the mix over all the layers and over the chops. Covered with tin foil for 1st hour, uncovered for the next 20 mins. Like I said, excellent!"
"We added ham and it was delicious!"
"Very good, the soup gives it a nice creamy texture!"
"I thought this dish was very good as is and there are so many variations that can be made to it. I added ham and onions to mine. I also mixed the butter and flour in with the soup and milk. Much easier to build the recipe that way. Next time I will cover with foil the first hour then uncover for the last 20 minutes."
"The very best especially with a sweet potato"
"I made this the first time but added bacon bits. It was pretty good. The second time I sub'd chedder cheese soup for the mushroom and added a bit of cheddar cheese to the layers. My family demolished it though it would have been better with bacon. I'll make this again and again."
"PERFECTION!!! I increased sliced potatoes to about 7-8 cups, and milk to 2 cups and left everything else the same."
"I added cream, onions, and salt and pepper. More cayenne for next time!"