Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
When I added garlic to this recipe, I discovered it gave the potatoes a unique flavor. My greatest compliment came from a neighbor who's a retired chef—he said this is the best potato dish he'd ever tasted!—Leah Brandenburg, Charleston, West Virginia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 thin slices onion
- 4 medium potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a heavy saucepan, mix flour, salt and milk until smooth. Add garlic and butter; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- In a greased 8-in. or 1-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer onion and potatoes. Top with sauce.
- Bake, covered, 25 minutes. Uncover; bake until potatoes are tender, 40-45 minutes.
Creamy Scalloped Potatoes: Substitute half-and-half cream for the milk and omit cheddar cheese.Yield: 4 servings. Swiss Scalloped Potatoes: Substitute Swiss cheese for the cheddar. Layer 1 jar (2 ounces) drained sliced pimientos with the potatoes. Yield: 4 servings. Scalloped Potatoes and Ham: Layer 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham with the potatoes. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 348 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 571mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Scalloped Potatoes in The Taste of Home Cookbook 3rd Edition