Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
When I added garlic to this recipe, I discovered it gave the potatoes a unique flavor. My greatest compliment came from a neighbor who's a retired chef—he said this is the best potato dish he'd ever tasted!—Leah Brandenburg, Charleston, West Virginia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 thin slices onion
- 4 medium potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a heavy saucepan, mix flour, salt and milk until smooth. Add garlic and butter; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- In a greased 8-in. or 1-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer onion and potatoes. Top with sauce.
- Bake, covered, 25 minutes. Uncover; bake until potatoes are tender, 40-45 minutes.
Creamy Scalloped Potatoes: Substitute half-and-half cream for the milk and omit cheddar cheese.Yield: 4 servings. Swiss Scalloped Potatoes: Substitute Swiss cheese for the cheddar. Layer 1 jar (2 ounces) drained sliced pimientos with the potatoes. Yield: 4 servings. Scalloped Potatoes and Ham: Layer 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham with the potatoes. Yield: 4 servings.