White Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 3-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in soup. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of each of the following: potatoes, ham, cheese and sauce. Repeat layers.
- Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 40-50 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 417 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 1267mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 2, 2017
I prepared this cheesy dish and it turned out wonderful!! The white cheddar puts a whole new spin on scalloped potatoes! Will make it again!!
Jan 29, 2017
This is a delicious dish and a great way to use up ham. It was very rich, but this is the type of dish that is supposed to be rich! I used yellow cheddar because I did not have white on hand but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. I served it with steamed broccoli and ended up mixing everything together to freshen the dish up a little bit.
May 9, 2016
I made these potatoes at Easter and I was overwhelmed with compliments! Yes, it is fattening, but it is only once a year! Indulge- you will never make any other scalloped potatoes!
Apr 11, 2016
Great recipe! it's definitely a keeper! I wasn't sure about the spices, but they worked well.
Mar 16, 2016
1star in order to ask a question. What's the difference between white and orange cheddar?
Apr 27, 2015
Great, I halved the recipe and used cream of onion soup instead of cream of mushroom soup
Apr 3, 2015
this one is a keeper, very good!
Mar 29, 2015
This was good. A little heavy but very good. I also made the Orange n Red Onion salad. It needed more vinegar for better balance.
Sep 10, 2014
Cheesy just the way I like it.
Apr 30, 2014
This is an awesome dish would be great for a covered dish dinner.