Sharp Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper until blended; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine cheeses. Layer a third of the potatoes, a third of the onions and 3/4 cup cheese mixture in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Repeat layers twice. Pour sauce over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 436 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 576mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Mar 20, 2018
Easy recipe, taste is good but very, very oily! I followed the recipe exactly but way too much grease. Unfortunately, I probably would not make this again.
Dec 18, 2016
Best scalloped taters I've ever made.
Sep 12, 2016
I made this recipe and could have just eaten it with a vegetable. It was so good. I didn't even need any meat to go along with it. Thumbs up!
Jun 29, 2016
Maybe microwave the potatoes a bit - or bake a bit longer.
Jun 26, 2016
Love it, I wish the was a little different. Maybe make enough sauce to put on each layer. defiantly great with the two types of sharp cheddar. I decided not to peal my white potatoes and it came out great.
Jun 2, 2016
Delicious!! Needed to bake probably an extra 5-10 minutes. Potatoes were JUST a bit firm. Great flavor and the smell coming from the oven is to die for!!
Apr 22, 2016
Very good recipe! And easy to follow! I think next time I will layer the sauce instead of having it all on top
Mar 31, 2016
This will be my go to recipe for potatoes. So very good! I greased the dish with butter. I didn't change the recipe at all. Delicious just as written.
Mar 26, 2016
Good recipe for potatoes. Don't use any Pam in it or it would be oily. That's what dukeoflilac did to only get it a two star rating. Leave out the Pam and it's a better recipe.
Feb 26, 2016
Delicious! I do want to know why dukeoflilac commentator asked about PAM. There was nothing in this recipe saying to spray anything with PAM that I saw. Maybe there was when she posted, but it's not here now and with all this cheese, no need to coat the pan with any oil. These are awesome Scalloped Potatoes! I did ad some shredded colby/jack and philly cheese because it melts so well and tastes great and some garlic powder, but otherwise followed the recipe.