Peppery Scalloped Potatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the soup, milk, salt and cayenne; set aside. Place a third of the potatoes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; layer with a third of the butter, flour and soup mixture. Repeat layers twice. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
3/4 cup: 207 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 500mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 4, 2017
Excellent! Didn't have Creme of Mushroom so used Creme of Asparagus. Mixed the flour, butter in with the milk and soup mix. Added onions when I layered in the ingredients. Topped it with 2 - 3/4" thick pork chops. (The way Mom used to do it!) Drizzled the mix over all the layers and over the chops. Covered with tin foil for 1st hour, uncovered for the next 20 mins. Like I said, excellent!
Jun 26, 2017
Dec 18, 2014
We added ham and it was delicious!
Nov 27, 2014
Very good, the soup gives it a nice creamy texture!
Jan 4, 2014
I thought this dish was very good as is and there are so many variations that can be made to it. I added ham and onions to mine. I also mixed the butter and flour in with the soup and milk. Much easier to build the recipe that way. Next time I will cover with foil the first hour then uncover for the last 20 minutes.
Dec 31, 1969
The very best especially with a sweet potato
Dec 28, 2012
I made this the first time but added bacon bits. It was pretty good. The second time I sub'd chedder cheese soup for the mushroom and added a bit of cheddar cheese to the layers. My family demolished it though it would have been better with bacon. I'll make this again and again.
Dec 26, 2012
To add my 2 cents: This dish was well-received at Christmas dinner. I put in too much red pepper, will adjust for next time. Easy to make and delicious!
May 28, 2012
PERFECTION!!! I increased sliced potatoes to about 7-8 cups, and milk to 2 cups and left everything else the same.
May 28, 2012
I added cream, onions, and salt and pepper. More cayenne for next time!