- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Triple Sec or orange juice
- 3 tablespoons freshly-squeezed orange juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, water, Triple Sec and orange juice. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in orange zest. Transfer to a small bowl. Chill until serving.
Tips for Making Cranberry Orange Sauce
What can you add to cranberry sauce?Cranberry sauce works great with different add-ins. You can upgrade the holiday staple by making Cranberry Sauce with Walnuts, Chipotle-Orange Cranberry Sauce or Apricot-Apple Cranberry Sauce. Round out your meal with sweet potato casserole and apple pie.
How do you get the bitterness out of cranberry sauce?To cut down on the bitterness in cranberry sauce, stir in maple syrup, sweet wine or sweetened fruit juice with a pinch of salt. The salt will intensify the flavor so you don't have to add too much sweetener. Check out more problem-solving cooking tips for your holiday dinner.
What makes cranberry sauce gel?Cranberries contains pectin, a natural starch found in many fruits and veggies, which gels when it's combined with sugar and acid.
Research contributed by Christina Herbst, Taste of Home Assistant Digital Editor
2 tablespoons: 61 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.